· LAST FILING DATE: MARCH 7, 2018
· WRITTEN TEST DATE: APRIL 14, 2018
· COUNTY ANNUAL SALARY $32,018
· GRADE 12
· SALARIES VARY BY JURISDICTION
SPECIFICATION # 0032
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. Application may also be made using the Suffolk County application for promotional examination (Form CS-203). Make your check or money order payable to the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. Do not send cash. Please indicate the examination title and the last four digits of your social security number on the face of your check or money order. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, volunteer firefighters, volunteer EMTs and volunteer CERT members. Internet applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form on-line. All other applicants should complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application (Form CS-203). All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
An employee in this class performs difficult and responsible stenographic, typing and clerical tasks. The incumbent performs advanced clerical work requiring the taking and transcribing of dictation. Subjects dealt with are frequently technical in nature and require familiarity with terminology used in a specialized field. Work other than stenography is similar in nature and level to that in the Senior Clerk Typist class. The variety and difficulty of work varies among positions. Where work is more repetitive, there is an added responsibility of finality of action. Positions require the operation of standard office equipment including word processors. Until the more difficult phases of a job are learned, an employee works under close supervision, but, thereafter, detailed instructions are received only when changes in procedures and new assignments occur. Performance is reviewed through observation of operations and review of correspondence and typewritten materials prepared; advice and assistance are given on unusual or difficult problems. Supervision may be exercised over a small number of employees assisting in routine details. Does related work as required.
To be eligible, a candidate must now be serving and have served on a continuous basis with permanent or contingent permanent competitive status as a Legal Secretary, Stenographer or Stenographer (Spanish Speaking) for at least two (2) years in the jurisdiction in which the candidate seeks promotion immediately preceding the written examination date.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
The examination for this title will consist of two parts:
I. The written test will cover knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. English usage;
3. Clerical operations;
4. Understanding and interpreting written material;
5. Office record keeping, including charts and numbers.
II. Typing and stenographic tests: Straight copy typing test rated at 30 words per minute with 96% accuracy. Candidates will also be required to take dictation at 80 words per minute for 2.5 minutes. Scoring for the stenographic test will be based on accuracy. Candidates who pass the written test and who do not qualify for a waiver** of the typing or stenographic tests will be scheduled for the qualifying performance tests, to be administered during the work week (Monday – Friday), during the months of May/June 2018. Please contact the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service by July 2, 2018 if you have not been scheduled for your typing/stenographic performance tests. (** A candidate may be eligible for waiver of the typing/stenographic performance tests on the basis of a previous typing/stenographic performance test administered within the last four years by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service or, present employment in a jurisdiction served by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. Details explaining the waiver policy are available upon request from the Civil Service Department.)
Candidates must pass all applicable portions of the examination. The final rank order of the eligible list will be determined solely on the basis of the scores received on the written test plus veterans’ credits where applicable.
1. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Civil Service Department reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice.
2. Candidates who apply for this examination and who have not heard from the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service by April 11, 2018 are advised to contact the Civil Service Department before the written test date at (631) 853-5500.
3. You can view your room assignment and exam site on our home page at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice under “Candidate Exam Room Assignment Search” seven days prior to the examination date.
DATE PREPARED: January 9, 2018
GENERAL CONDITIONS PROMOTIONAL ANNOUNCEMENT
1. Paper applications are available at the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge and at the Riverhead County Center display, or by sending a stamped, self-addressed 9 ½” X 4” envelope for each title to: Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, New York 11788-0099.
2. Applications postmarked after midnight of the last filing date may not be considered eligible for this examination.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications by the date of the written test, or last filing date in the case of training and experience evaluations.
4. Candidates found ineligible to compete in a written examination may appeal to the Department of Civil Service for reconsideration prior to the written test date appearing on this announcement. Appeals received on or after the announced written test date will not be considered.
5. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of the competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the scores received on the written test, plus seniority and veterans’ credits where appropriate.
6. Eligible applicants will be notified when and where to appear for examination. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent.
7. Unless specifically prohibited by the examination instructions, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell-checkers, personal digital assistant, address books, language translators, dictionaries and any similar devices are prohibited.
8. In accordance with Section 52 of the Civil Service Law, for county service, first consideration in appointment will be given to employees in the department where a vacancy occurs, after which appointments will be made from the general eligible list.
9. Eligible lists resulting from promotional examinations are only certified to the jurisdiction in which a candidate is employed.
10. When the examination is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of examination will apply.
11. When the written examination is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of examination will apply.
12. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Civil Service Department for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
13. Information regarding eligibility for veterans’ credits appears on the promotional application form.
14. For each six months of continuous permanent competitive service within the jurisdiction, to a maximum of 20 years, .10 credits for seniority will be added to the scores of passing candidates only.
15. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
16. Saturday Sabbath Observers and handicapped persons: If special arrangements for testing are required, indicate this on your application.
17. No smoking is permitted in the building or on the grounds of the examination site.
18. If you will be on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States on the date of this test, please contact the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service before the last filing date appearing on this announcement for alternate test date information.
19. Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center. If you have any questions please call the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service at (631) 853-5500.
20. For information regarding a weather related cancellation of this examination, please refer to our website at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice click on the “Weather Related Exam Cancellations” link. Civil Service Announcements are shown at the bottom of that page. The following stations will broadcast notice of cancellation:
WALK PATCHOGUE 97.5 FM
WBAB BABYLON 102.3 FM
WBLI BABYLON 106.1 FM
WLNG SAG HARBOR 92.1 FM
WBZO FARMINGDALE 103.1 FM
WRCN MEDFORD 103.9 FM
NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND TV CHANNEL 12 website: www.news12.com
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
Announcements and Applications Also Available At
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
725 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY.
WILLIAM J LINDSAY COUNTY COMPLEX, BLDG. #158 Information Display Unit,
P.O. BOX 6100, HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788-0099 Phone: 853-5500 County Center, Riverhead