CIVIL SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
· LAST FILING DATE: OCTOBER 24, 2018
· COUNTY ANNUAL SALARY $48,336
· GRADE 21
· USUAL ANNUAL SALARY $62,748
· SALARIES VARY BY JURISDICTION
SPECIFICATION # 0756
All statements made on the application may be verified and the backgrounds of successful candidates are subject to investigation by the appointing authority.
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. Application may also be made using the Suffolk County application for employment (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B). Make your check or money order payable to the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. Do not send cash. Please indicate the examination title and the last four digits of your social security number on the face of your check or money order. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, volunteer firefighters, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company and volunteer CERT members. The fee may also be waived if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household and for recipients of Medicaid, SSI, Public Assistance or those in a training program under the Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act administered by a state or local social service agency. Internet applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form on-line. All other applicants should complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B). All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
The eligible list for this title will be used to fill current and future vacancies for this title in Suffolk County Departments and non-county jurisdictions under the jurisdiction of the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. There is currently one vacancy in Eastern Suffolk BOCES.
An employee in this class is responsible for the creation, design, and management of websites and graphics for a large jurisdiction. The incumbent will create websites and develop content design, develop new graphics and modify existing graphics files. The website shall be managed to ensure that all information is current, accurate and accessible. The incumbent is expected to exercise independent judgment and initiative in completing duties. If the employee does not have overall responsibility for the agency websites, a position in this class is distinguished from a Website Specialist in that the focus of the position is on programming at a level similar to that of a Computer Programmer. Work is performed under the general supervision of an administrative supervisor and is reviewed through conferences and consultations for the achievement of desired results. Supervision may be exercised over a technical and/or clerical support staff. Does related work as required.
(a) Graduation from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by NY State with a Bachelor’s Degree*, which includes or is supplemented by twenty four (24) credit hours of coursework in web design, management information systems, computer science, computer technology, information resource management, programming, systems analysis or related computer fields; or,
(b) Graduation from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by NY State with an Associate’s Degree*, which includes or is supplemented by twelve (12) credit hours of coursework in Web design, management information systems, computer science, computer technology, information resource management, programming, systems analysis or related computer fields, and two (2) years of experience in the design and maintenance of websites; or,
(c) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, and four (4) years of experience in the design and maintenance of websites; or,
(d) An equivalent combination of training and experience, as defined by the limits of (a), (b) and (c).
Notes: Master CIW (Certified Internet Webmaster) Administrator certification*, accredited by the Association of Internet Professionals (AIP), may be substituted for three (3) years of the noted experience. Coursework in the use of specific programs such as WORD, EXCEL, or ACCESS and data entry will not be credited.
*Please attach to the application a copy of your college transcript(s) and/or Master CIW Administrator certification which must have your name, college name, and date of graduation printed on it by the institution. Grade reports, incomplete transcripts and other similar documents are unacceptable.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
The only subject of examination will be an evaluation of the candidates’ training and experience. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will receive a rating based on an evaluation of their training and experience against the background of the duties of the position.
All candidates should submit an application on or before the last filing date. After a preliminary review of qualifications, all approved candidates will be required to complete and return a questionnaire describing their relevant training and experience. The rating of training and experience will be based upon the information candidates provide on the questionnaire. Ambiguity and vagueness will not be resolved in the candidate’s favor. Additional information concerning a candidate’s training and experience will not be accepted after the questionnaire has been rated. Candidates who have not received a questionnaire by November 28, 2018 should contact the Department of Civil Service.
1. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Civil Service Department reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice.
2. Candidates who filed for this examination more than six months ago are advised to amend their applications to include current information.
DATE PREPARED: September 18, 2018
1. Paper applications are available at the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge and at the Riverhead County Center display, or by sending a stamped, self-addressed 9 ½” x 4” envelope for each title to: Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099.
2. Applications postmarked after midnight of the last filing date may not be considered eligible for this examination.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications by the date of the written test, or last filing date in the case of training and experience evaluations. Unless otherwise stated part-time experience will be pro-rated.
4. Candidates found ineligible to compete in the training and experience examination may appeal to the Department of Civil Service for reconsideration prior to the last filing date appearing on this announcement. Appeals received on or after the announced last filing date will not be considered.
5. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of this competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the scores received on the written test, plus veterans’ credits where appropriate.
6. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent.
7. Unless specifically prohibited by the examination instructions, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell-checker, personal digital assistant, address books, language translators, dictionaries and any similar devices are prohibited.
8. When the examination is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of examination will apply.
9. When the written examination is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of examination will apply.
10. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Civil Service Department for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
11. Information regarding eligibility for veterans' credits appears on the open-competitive application form.
12. Pursuant to Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points added to a passing score attained in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination, and you are the child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty, please so notify us in writing when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit must submit appropriate documentation to verify eligibility to receive these additional credits before the eligible list is established. No additional credits will be granted after the eligible list is established.
13. Inquiries may be made as to character and ability and all statements made by candidates are subject to verification. Some employers may require the candidate to be fingerprinted and to pass a background investigation.
14. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
15. Residency is not required for taking any examinations. However, some non-county jurisdictions, such as schools, libraries, etc., give hiring preference to residents. Some Towns also require employees to establish residency within the Township. For employment in a Suffolk County Department, with only limited exceptions set forth in Suffolk County Law, residency within Suffolk County is required throughout employment with the County. In any case in which residency preference is given, the appointee(s) must meet a specific residency standard as defined in the Civil Service Rules.
16. Saturday Sabbath Observers and handicapped persons: If special arrangements for testing are required, indicate this on your application.
17. No smoking is permitted in the building or on the grounds of the examination site.
18. If you will be on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States on the date of this test, please contact the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service before the last filing date appearing on this announcement for alternate test date information.
19. Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center. If you have any questions please call the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service at (631) 853-5500.
20. For information regarding a weather related cancellation of this examination, please refer to our website at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice click on the “Weather Related Exam Cancellations” link. Civil Service Announcements are shown at the bottom of that page. The following stations will broadcast notice of cancellation:
WALK PATCHOGUE 97.5 FM
WBAB BABYLON 102.3 FM
WBLI BABYLON 106.1 FM
WLNG SAG HARBOR 92.1 FM
WBZO FARMINGDALE 103.1 FM
WRCN MEDFORD 103.9 FM
NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND TV CHANNEL 12 website: www.news12.com
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
Announcements and Applications Also Available At
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
725 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY.
WILLIAM J LINDSAY COUNTY COMPLEX, BLDG. #158 Information Display Unit,
P.O. BOX 6100, HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788-0099 Phone: 853-5500 County Center, Riverhead