ASSISTANT CLERK OF THE WORKS OC 1,2,3,4,5
CLERK OF THE WORKS OC 1,2,3,4,5
1. PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF BUILDING CONSTRUCTION - These questions test for knowledge of the concepts, proper procedures, and computations used in the construction and renovation of buildings and related facilities, including structural members, roofs, walls, windows, doors, insulation, foundations, exterior features, and site work.
2. BUILDING CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS AND STANDARDS, AND THEIR APPLICATIONS - These questions test for knowledge of the various types, uses, and proper installation procedures involving materials used in the construction and renovation of buildings and building sites, including applicable quality standards, materials specifications, and building requirements, and their proper application to the building process.
3. DRAWINGS, SPECIFICATIONS AND CONTRACT DOCUMENTS - These questions test for knowledge of typical building construction contract and specification requirements; and the ability to read, analyze, and perform computations and quantity and cost estimates based upon technical drawings and plans of various types of buildings and related structures.
4. INSPECTION AND SUPERVISION OF BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS - These questions test for knowledge of the appropriate principles and methods to use when inspecting and overseeing construction work on various building related projects, including proper adherence to plans and specifications, resolving technical, safety, and scheduling problems, dealing with contractors and workers, interpreting and implementing materials requirements and testing procedures, and inspection record keeping.
5. MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS IN BUILDINGS - These questions test for knowledge of the concepts, proper procedures, typical materials, and standards used in the construction and rehabilitation of mechanical and electrical systems found in buildings and related facilities, including sanitary, plumbing, HVAC systems, lighting and wiring, and related safety and health issues.
6. PREPARING WRITTEN MATERIAL - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to Take a Written Test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available online at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
USE OF CALCULATORS IS ALLOWED