PUBLIC HEALTH SANITARIAN TRAINEE (SPANISH SPEAKING)
CIVIL SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
· LAST FILING DATE: APRIL 23, 2021
· WRITTEN TEST DATE: MAY 22, 2021
· COUNTY ANNUAL SALARY $40,481
· GRADE 16
SPECIFICATION # 2102
All statements made on the application may be verified and the backgrounds of successful candidates are subject to investigation by the appointing authority.
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, firefighters, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company, volunteer CERT members and members of the Suffolk County Police Explorers program. The fee may also be waived if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household and for recipients of Medicaid, SSI, Public Assistance or those in a training program under the Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act administered by a state or local social service agency. Applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form online. All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
The eligible list for this title will be used to fill future vacancies in the Suffolk County Department of Health Services.
An employee in this class performs elementary professional environmental health work while undergoing supervised in-service training. Work differs from that of a Public Health Sanitarian Trainee in that a position in this class includes that the incumbent is responsible for communicating in Spanish. The incumbent assists in executing and enforcing the provisions of the Public Health Law, the New York State and Suffolk County Sanitary Codes, and New York State Environmental Conservation Law, while undergoing on-the-job training to become qualified as a Public Health Sanitarian. The incumbent's training is provided by supervisors who assign progressively more responsible duties according to the trainee's experience and level of professional development. All work is reviewed throughout its progress and upon completion by a senior level Sanitarian or Public Health Engineer through frequent consultations and observations of office and field activities. After one (1) year of continuous service as a permanent competitive Public Health Sanitarian Trainee and the successful completion of the in-service training program, the incumbent achieves permanent competitive status as a Public Health Sanitarian (Spanish Speaking) (Grade 21) without further examination, subject to completion of the approved NYSDOH training course, Basic Environmental Health Course (BEHC), within the first two years of employment in the public health sanitarian series. Does related work as required.
Graduation from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by NY State with a Bachelor's Degree* including, or supplemented by, a minimum of thirty (30) credit hours in the natural sciences, of which not more than twelve (12) credit hours are in the applied sciences.
Necessary Special Requirement
At the time of appointment, and during employment in this title, employees will be required to possess a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
*Please attach to the application a copy of your college transcript(s) which must have your name, college name, and date of graduation printed on it by the institution. Grade reports, incomplete transcripts and other similar documents are unacceptable.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
The examination will consist of two parts:
I. The written test will cover knowledge, skills and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Understanding and interpreting written material.
2. Principles of chemistry, biology, and general science.
3. Understanding and interpreting charts and tabular material.
4. Preparation of written material.
II. Spanish Language Proficiency Test (Speaking): This part of the examination will be administered during the work week (Monday – Friday) and is designed to evaluate speaking proficiency in the Spanish language at a level appropriate for the position(s) being filled. A candidate may qualify for a waiver of the Spanish language proficiency test if he/she passed a comparable or higher level Spanish language proficiency test administered by the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service.
Candidates must pass both parts of the examination in order to be eligible for appointment. Rank on the eligible list will be
determined solely on the basis of the written test score plus veteran’s credits where applicable.
1. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service.
2. Candidates who apply for this examination and who have not heard from the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service by May 19, 2021 are advised to contact the Department before the written test date at (631) 853-5500.
3. You can view your room assignment and exam site on our home page at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service under “Candidate Exam Room Assignment Search” seven days prior to the examination date.
DATE PREPARED: February 22, 2021
GENERAL CONDITIONS OPEN-COMPETITIVE ANNOUNCEMENT
1. Application may be made using the Suffolk County Application for Employment (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B).
2. Applicants may complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with Forms CS-205A and CS-205B.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications by the date of the written test, or last filing date in the case of training and experience evaluations. Unless otherwise stated part-time experience will be pro-rated.
4. Candidates found ineligible to compete in the written examination may appeal to the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service for reconsideration prior to the written test date appearing on this announcement. Appeals received on or after the announced written test date will not be considered.
5. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of this competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the score received on the written test, plus veterans’ credits where appropriate.
6. Eligible applicants will be notified when and where to appear for examination. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent.
7. Unless specifically prohibited by the examination instructions, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery-powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell-checker, personal digital assistant, address books, language translators, dictionaries and any similar devices are prohibited.
8. When the examination is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of examination will apply.
9. When the written examination is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of examination will apply.
10. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
11. Information regarding eligibility for veterans’ credits appears on the open-competitive application form.
12. Pursuant to Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points added to a passing score attained in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination, and you are the child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty, please so notify us in writing when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit must submit appropriate documentation to verify eligibility to receive these additional credits before the eligible list is established. No additional credits will be granted after the eligible list is established.
13. Inquiries may be made as to character and ability and all statements made by candidates are subject to verification. Some employers may require the candidate to be fingerprinted and to pass a background investigation.
14. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
15. Residency is not required for taking any examinations. However, some jurisdictions, such as schools, libraries, etc., give hiring preference to residents. Some towns also require employees to establish residency within the township. For employment in a Suffolk County Department, with only limited exceptions set forth in Suffolk County Law, residency within Suffolk County is required within five years of employment with the county. In any case in which residency preference is given, the appointee(s) must meet a specific residency standard as defined in the Civil Service Rules.
16. Saturday Sabbath Observers and handicapped persons: If special arrangements for testing are required, indicate this on your application.
17. No smoking is permitted in the building or on the grounds of the examination site.
18. If you will be on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States on the date of this test, please contact the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service before the last filing date appearing on this announcement for alternate test date information.
19. Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center. If you have any questions, please call the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service at (631) 853-5500.
20. For information regarding a weather-related cancellation of this examination, please refer to our website at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service click on the “Weather Related Exam Cancellations” link. Civil Service Announcements are shown at the bottom of that page. The following stations will broadcast notice of cancellation:
WALK PATCHOGUE 97.5 FM
WBAB BABYLON 102.3 FM
WBLI BABYLON 106.1 FM
WLNG SAG HARBOR 92.1 FM
WBZO FARMINGDALE 103.1 FM
WRCN MEDFORD 103.9 FM
NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND TV CHANNEL 12 website: www.news12.com
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES, PERSONNEL AND CIVIL SERVICE
Announcements and Applications Also Available At
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES, PERSONNEL AND CIVIL SERVICE
725 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY.
WILLIAM J LINDSAY COUNTY COMPLEX, BLDG. #158 Information Display Unit,
P.O. BOX 6100, HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788-0099 Phone: 853-5500 County Center, Riverhead