FORENSIC SCIENTIST II (DRUG CHEMISTRY)
· LAST FILING DATE: APRIL 18, 2018
· ANNUAL SALARY $78,310
· GRADE 24 STEP 8
SPECIFICATION # 2271
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. Application may also be made using the Suffolk County application for promotional examination (Form CS-203). Make your check or money order payable to the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. Do not send cash. Please indicate the examination title and the last four digits of your social security number on the face of your check or money order. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company and volunteer CERT members. Internet applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form on-line. All other applicants should complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application (Form CS-203). All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
An employee in this class performs complex technical work in conducting chemical, instrumental and microscopic examinations of liquids, tablets, powders, residues and plant material to establish the presence or absence of drugs or other significant chemical agents. Work differs from that of a FS I (Drug Chemistry) in that the analyses performed are more complex than those performed by a FS I (Drug Chemistry). The incumbent may oversee and review the work of subordinate laboratory personnel, ensure the reliability of test results, and develop and evaluate methods used in the section. May participate in crime scene investigations and issue reports of analyses performed. The work includes giving testimony at a variety of legal proceedings, and requires the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. Supervision is received from a technical or administrative supervisor through conferences and a review of reports issued. Does related work as required.
To be eligible, a candidate must now be serving and have served on a continuous basis with permanent or contingent permanent competitive status as a Forensic Scientist I (Drug Chemistry) for at least two (2) years in the jurisdiction in which the candidate seeks promotion immediately preceding the last filing date.
Necessary Special Requirements
At time of appointment and during employment in this title, employees will be required to possess a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State. Candidates will be subject to a background investigation.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
There will be no written or oral test for this examination. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will receive a rating based on an evaluation of their training and experience against the background of the duties of the position. Please prepare a complete summary of your relevant education and experience for this position on Form CS-205A.
In your summary of training include a copy of your college transcript(s) showing all college degrees.
In your summary of experience describe fully each relevant position you have held during the past ten (10) years. State the type of organization and your place within it. Give a clear and precise description of your principal duties and responsibilities including experience in forensic chemistry or forensic toxicology. Include the percent of time you normally devote to each. If you have held more than one title with the same employer describe each title separately.
Applications may be supplemented by a resume, but submission of a resume does not relieve a candidate of the responsibility for completing all sections of the official application. To receive credit for experience on a job, basic information such as your title, name and address of employer, title of supervisor, hours in the work week, dates of employment (including month and year), final salary, etc., must be shown.
Be as concrete and specific as possible in your summary of training and experience; ambiguity and vagueness will not be resolved in favor of the candidate. Additional information concerning a candidate’s training and experience will not be accepted after the application has been rated. Rank on the eligible list will be determined by the training and experience evaluation plus seniority and veteran’s credits if applicable.
1. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Civil Service Department reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice.
2. Candidates who filed for this examination more than six months ago are advised to amend their applications to include current information.
DATE PREPARED: March 1, 2018
1. Paper applications are available at the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge and at the Riverhead County Center display, or by sending a stamped, self-addressed 9 1/2" x 4" envelope for each title to: Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, New York 11788-0099.
2. Applications postmarked after midnight of the last filing date may not be considered eligible for this examination.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications by the date of the written test, or last filing date in the case of training and experience evaluations.
4. Candidates found ineligible to compete in the training and experience examination may appeal to the Department of Civil Service for reconsideration immediately upon notification of ineligibility. Appeals received untimely will not be considered.
5. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of this competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the scores received on the written test, plus seniority and veterans' credits where appropriate.
6. Eligible applicants will be notified when and where to appear for examination. If an application is rejected due notice will be sent.
7. Unless specifically prohibited by the examination instructions, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell-checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries and any similar devices are prohibited.
8. Eligible lists resulting from promotional examinations are only certified to the jurisdiction in which a candidate is employed.
9. In accordance with Section 52 of the Civil Service Law, for County Service, first consideration in appointment will be given to employees in the department where a vacancy occurs, after which appointments will be made from the general list.
10. When the examination is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of examination will apply.
11. When the written examination is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of examination will apply.
12. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Civil Service Department for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
13. Information regarding eligibility for veterans' credits appears on the promotional application form.
14. For each six months of continuous permanent competitive service within the jurisdiction, to a maximum of 20 years, .10 credits for seniority will be added to the scores of passing candidates only.
15. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
16. A waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are an officer or member of the Suffolk County Auxiliary Police or if you are a Suffolk County resident veteran, volunteer firefighter, volunteer EMT or volunteer CERT member. All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification. If you can verify eligibility for application fee waiver, complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application by the close of business on the Application Deadline as listed on the Examination Announcement. The form is available from the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service or on our website under “Online Forms.”
17. Residency is not required for taking any examinations. However, some non-county jurisdictions, such as schools, libraries, etc., give hiring preference to residents. Some Towns also require employees to establish residency within the Township. For employment in a Suffolk County Department, with only limited exceptions set forth in Suffolk County Law, residency within Suffolk County is required throughout employment with the county. In any case in which residency preference is given, the appointee(s) must meet a specific residency standard as defined in the Civil Service Rules.
18. Saturday Sabbath Observers and handicapped persons: If special arrangements for testing are required, indicate this on your application.
19. No smoking is permitted in the building or on the grounds of the examination site.
20. If you will be on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States on the date of this test, please contact the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service before the last filing date appearing on this announcement for alternate test date information.
21. Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center. If you have any questions please call the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service at (631) 853-5500.
22. For information regarding a weather related cancellation of this examination, please refer to our website at http://apps.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice/Efiling/Default.aspx or the following stations will broadcast notice of cancellation between 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 A.M. on the test date:
WALK PATCHOGUE 97.5 FM
WBAB BABYLON 102.3 FM
WBLI BABYLON 106.1 FM
WLNG SAG HARBOR 92.1 FM
WBZO FARMINGDALE 103.1 FM
WRCN MEDFORD 103.9 FM
NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND TV CHANNEL 12 website: www.news12.com
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
Announcements and Applications Also Available At
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
725 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY.
WILLIAM J LINDSAY COUNTY COMPLEX, BLDG. #158 Information Display Unit,
P.O. BOX 6100, HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788-0099 Phone: 853-5500 County Center, Riverhead