MEDICAL SERVICES SPECIALIST
CIVIL SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT OPEN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION ***
· COUNTY ANNUAL SALARY $62,826
· GRADE 23 STEP 2
SPECIFICATION # 2641
All statements made on the application may be verified and the backgrounds of successful candidates are subject to investigation by the appointing authority.
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. Application may also be made using the Suffolk County application for employment (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B). Make your check or money order payable to the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. Do not send cash. Please indicate the examination title and the last four digits of your social security number on the face of your check or money order. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company and volunteer CERT members. The fee may also be waived if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household and for recipients of Medicaid, SSI, Public Assistance or those in a training program under the Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act administered by a state or local social service agency. Internet applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form on-line. All other applicants should complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B). All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
The eligible list for this position will be used to fill future vacancies in the Suffolk County Department of Social Services.
An employee in this class completes medical and social assessments to determine the needs of potential home care and/or long-term home health care clients. The employee may authorize specific hours of personal care services and monitor quality of home care services rendered to eligible Medical Assistance clients or assist vulnerable populations in locating the appropriate care. The incumbent is expected to exercise independent initiative and judgment. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed by a professional or administrative superior through conferences and reports for conformance to departmental regulations. Does related work as required.
Graduation from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by New York State with a Bachelor's or Master's Degree* in Nursing or other health or human services field, plus two (2) years of experience as a registered professional nurse** in home health care and/or the review of home health care services for medical necessity or in the delivery of preventive health care services. Experience must have been gained within the last ten (10) years.
Necessary Special Requirements
At the time of appointment and during employment in this title, employees must possess a Registered Nurse's license issued by the State of New York.
Employees must also possess and maintain a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
*Please attach to the application a copy of your college transcript(s) which must have your name, college name, and date of graduation printed on it by the institution. Grade reports, incomplete transcripts and other similar documents are unacceptable. **Please attach to the application a copy of your current New York State Registered Nurse’s license.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
There will be no written or oral test for this examination. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will receive a rating based on an evaluation of their training and experience against the background of the duties of the position. Please prepare a complete summary of your relevant education and experience for this position.
Applications may be supplemented by a resume, but submission of a resume does not relieve a candidate of the responsibility for completing all sections of the official application. To receive credit for experience on a job, basic information such as your title, name and address of employer, title of supervisory, hours in the workweek, dates of employment (including month and year), final salary, etc. must be shown.
In your summary of training include a copy of your college transcript(s) showing all degrees awarded.
In your summary of experience please indicate the date that you first received your Registered Nurse’s Professional License**. Describe fully each relevant position you have held in the last ten (10) years. Experience should include experience in home health care and/or the review of home health care services for medical necessity or in the delivery of preventive health care services. State the type of organization and your place within it. Give a clear and precise description of your principal duties in each position including the percent of work time you normally devote to each. If you had any supervisory experience, include the number of those supervised and the timeframe of this supervision.
Be as concrete and specific as possible in your summary of training and experience; ambiguity and vagueness will not be resolved in favor of the candidate. Additional information concerning a candidate’s training and experience will not be accepted after the application has been rated.
Rank on the eligible list will be determined by the scores received on the training and experience evaluation plus veterans’ credits if applicable.
1. ***This examination is given on a continuous recruitment basis. This is a training and experience evaluation. The names of candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be continuously added to the eligible list on the basis of the scores received on the training and experience evaluation plus veteran’s credits where applicable. Candidates will remain eligible for appointment for a maximum of one (1) year after which time the name of candidates who have not been appointed will be removed from the eligible list.
2. A candidate whose name appears on this eligible list may not submit application for re-evaluation until his/her one (1) year period of eligibility expires.
3. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Civil Service Department reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice.
DATE PREPARED: February 21, 2017
GENERAL CONDITIONS OPEN-COMPETITIVE CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT ANNOUNCEMENT
1. Candidates must submit Suffolk County Application forms. Applications are available at the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge and at the Riverhead County Center display, or by sending a stamped, self-addressed 9 ½” x 4” envelope for each title to: Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099.
2. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications upon submission of the application. Unless otherwise stated, part-time experience will be pro-rated.
3. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent. Candidates found ineligible to compete in the training and experience evaluation may appeal to the Department of Civil Service for reconsideration by submitting additional information in writing within seven (7) business days of the postmark of the notice of ineligibility.
4. Candidates who fail the training and experience evaluation will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of this competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the scores received on the training and experience evaluation, plus veterans’ credits where appropriate.
5. There may be restrictions on employment for those who are under 18 or over 70 years of age.
6. When the training and experience evaluation is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of training and experience evaluations will apply.
7. When the training and experience evaluation is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of training and experience evaluations will apply.
8. The eligible list established as a result of this training and experience evaluation will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Civil Service Department for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
9. Information regarding eligibility for veterans' credits appears on the open-competitive application form.
10. Pursuant to Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points added to a passing score attained in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination, and you are the child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty, please so notify us in writing when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit must submit appropriate documentation to verify eligibility to receive these additional credits before the eligible list is established. No additional credits will be granted after the eligible list is established.
11. Inquiries may be made as to character and ability and all statements made by candidates are subject to verification. Some employers may require the candidate to be fingerprinted and to pass a background investigation.
12. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
13. Residency is not required for taking any examinations. However, some non-county jurisdictions, such as schools, libraries, etc., give hiring preference to residents. Some towns also require employees to establish residency within the township. For employment in a Suffolk County Department, with only limited exceptions set forth in Suffolk County Law, residency within Suffolk County is required throughout employment with the County. In any case in which residency preference is given, the appointee(s) must meet a specific residency standard as defined in the Civil Service Rules.
14. For any questions regarding competing in a continuous recruitment training and experience evaluation please contact the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service.
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
725 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY.
WILLIAM J LINDSAY COUNTY COMPLEX, BLDG. #158
Information Display Unit, P.O. BOX 6100, HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788-0099
County Center, Riverhead