EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN - BASIC
(CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT OPEN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION**)
CIVIL SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
· USUAL ANNUAL SALARY $37,000 - $60,000
· WORK HOURS VARY BY JURISDICTION
· SALARIES VARY BY JURISDICTION
SPECIFICATION # 2670
All statements made on the application may be verified and the backgrounds of successful candidates are subject to investigation by the appointing authority.
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at https://apps2.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice/efile/default.aspx. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, active duty military, members of the reserves or National Guard, auxiliary police, firefighters, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company, members of a Volunteer Fire Department or Volunteer Emergency Medical Services Agency Explorers programs, volunteer CERT members and members of the Suffolk County Police Explorers program. The fee may also be waived if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household and for recipients of Medicaid, SSI, Public Assistance or those in a training program under the Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act administered by a state or local social service agency. Applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form online. All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
The eligible list for this title will be used to fill future vacancies in Suffolk County special districts. It is anticipated that only a limited number of future vacancies may become available.
An employee in this class provides initial first-aid treatment or emergency medical care either through an ambulance or a non-ambulance service at the site of an occurrence. These positions differ in levels of care they are certified to render as outlined by New York State Department of Health and Suffolk County Emergency Medical Services Guidelines. Direction is received from administrative supervisors or higher level professional personnel who review work through Quality Improvement Programs and online communications with Medical Control. Does related work as required.
Possession of one of the following certificates issued by the New York State Department of Health: Emergency Medical Technician-Basic Certificate; Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate Certificate; Emergency Medical Technician-Critical Care Certificate; or Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic Certificate.
Necessary Special Requirements
1. Candidates must maintain the appropriate Emergency Medical Technician Certificate throughout employment in this position.
2. Candidates may be required to possess the appropriate New York State driver's license, and maintain such license throughout employment in this position.
3. Candidates must be free of any speech or hearing defects that would impair functioning in this position.
4. In jurisdictions where required, the incumbent must obtain certification of completion of the appropriate National Incident Management System (NIMS) entry-level course(s), including Incident Command System (ICS) training, within 26 weeks of appointment.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
The only subject of the examination will be an evaluation of the candidates’ training and experience. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will receive a rating based on an evaluation of their training and experience against the background of the duties of the position.
All candidates should submit an application on or before the last filing date. After a preliminary review of qualifications, all approved candidates will be required to complete and return a questionnaire describing their relevant training and experience. The rating of training and experience will be based upon the information candidates provide in the questionnaire. Ambiguity and vagueness will not be resolved in the candidate’s favor. Additional information concerning a candidate’s training and experience will not be accepted after the questionnaire has been rated.
Rank on the eligible list will be determined by the scores received on the training and experience evaluation plus veterans’ credits if applicable.
1. **This examination is given on a continuous recruitment basis. This is a training and experience evaluation. The names of candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be continuously added to the eligible list on the basis of the scores received on the training and experience evaluation plus veteran’s credits where applicable. Candidates will remain eligible for appointment for a maximum of one (1) year after which time the name of candidates who have not been appointed will be removed from the eligible list.
2. A candidate whose name appears on this eligible list may not submit application for re-evaluation until his/her one (1) year period of eligibility expires.
3. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at https://apps2.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice/efile/default.aspx.
DATE PREPARED: December 19, 2022
GENERAL CONDITIONS OPEN-COMPETITIVE ANNOUNCEMENT
1. Application may be made using the Suffolk County Application for Employment (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B).
2. Applicants may complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with Forms CS-205A and CS-205B.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications upon submission of the application. Unless otherwise stated, part-time experience will be pro-rated.
4. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent. Candidates found ineligible to compete in the training and experience evaluation may appeal to the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service for reconsideration by submitting additional information in writing within five (5) business days of the postmark of the notice of ineligibility.
5. Candidates who fail the training and experience evaluation will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of this competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the scores received on the training and experience evaluation, plus veterans’ credits where appropriate.
6. There may be restrictions on employment for those who are under 18 or over 70 years of age.
7. When the training and experience evaluation is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of training and experience evaluations will apply.
8. When the training and experience evaluation is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of training and experience evaluations will apply.
9. The eligible list established as a result of this training and experience evaluation will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service Department for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
10. Information regarding eligibility for veterans' credits appears on the open-competitive application form.
11. Pursuant to Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points added to a passing score attained in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination, and you are the child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty, please so notify us in writing when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit must submit appropriate documentation to verify eligibility to receive these additional credits before the eligible list is established. No additional credits will be granted after the eligible list is established.
12. Inquiries may be made as to character and ability and all statements made by candidates are subject to verification. Some employers may require the candidate to be fingerprinted and to pass a background investigation.
13. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
14. Residency is not required for taking any examinations. However, some jurisdictions, such as schools, libraries, etc., give hiring preference to residents. Some towns also require employees to establish residency within the township. For employment in a Suffolk County Department, with only limited exceptions set forth in Suffolk County Law, residency within Suffolk County is required within five years of employment with the county. In any case in which residency preference is given, the appointee(s) must meet a specific residency standard as defined in the Civil Service Rules.
15. For any questions regarding competing in a continuous recruitment training and experience evaluation please contact the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service.
Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service
725 Veterans Memorial Hwy.,
William J. Lindsay County Complex, Bldg. # 158
P.O. Box 6100
Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099
Phone: (631) 853-5500