COMMUNITY SERVICE WORKER
CIVIL SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
· LAST FILING DATE: JUNE 8, 2022
· WRITTEN TEST DATE: JULY 16, 2022
· COUNTY ANNUAL SALARY $34,530
· GRADE 12
SPECIFICATION # 3080
All statements made on the application may be verified and the backgrounds of successful candidates are subject to investigation by the appointing authority.
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, firefighters, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company, members of a Volunteer Fire Department or Volunteer Emergency Medical Services Agency Explorers programs, volunteer CERT members and members of the Suffolk County Police Explorers program. The fee may also be waived if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household and for recipients of Medicaid, SSI, Public Assistance or those in a training program under the Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act administered by a state or local social service agency. Applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form online. All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
The eligible list for this title will be used to fill future vacancies in Suffolk County departments and non-county jurisdictions under the jurisdiction of the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service.
An employee in this class performs non-professional duties to assist professional social and community workers in the implementation and delivery of agency programs and services. The incumbent must exercise some independent judgment within well-established guidelines. Work involves considerable telephone or personal contact with clients and the general public. Supervision is received through conferences and review of work completed by a professional social services worker or other supervisory personnel. Does related work as required.
Graduation from a standard senior high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, and one (1) year of experience in a position involving substantial client contact, in a public or private social service agency.
Note: Additional education* from a college with federally-authorized accreditation or registration by NY State will be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis.
Necessary Special Requirement
At the time of appointment and throughout employment in this title, employees are required to possess a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
*Please attach to the application a copy of your college transcript(s) which must have your name, college name, and date of graduation printed on it by the institution. Grade reports, incomplete transcripts and other similar documents are unacceptable.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
The written test will cover knowledge, skills and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Applying information;
2. Working with people in human services situations;
3. Preparing written material;
Note: The use of calculators is recommended for this examination.
Note: The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication ‘General Guide to Written Tests’ helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available online at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/testguides.cfm.
1. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service.
2. Expanded Description of the examination subtests is available at: www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service.
3. Candidates who apply for this examination and who have not heard from the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service by July 13, 2022 are advised to contact the Department before the written test date at (631) 853-5500.
4. You can view your room assignment and exam site on our home page at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service under “Candidate Exam Room Assignment Search” seven days prior to the examination date.
DATE PREPARED: April 29, 2022
GENERAL CONDITIONS OPEN-COMPETITIVE ANNOUNCEMENT
1. Application may be made using the Suffolk County Application for Employment (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B).
2. Applicants may complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with Forms CS-205A and CS-205B.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications by the date of the written test, or last filing date in the case of training and experience evaluations. Unless otherwise stated part-time experience will be pro-rated.
4. Candidates found ineligible to compete in the written examination may appeal to the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service for reconsideration prior to the written test date appearing on this announcement. Appeals received on or after the announced written test date will not be considered.
5. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of this competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the score received on the written test, plus veterans’ credits where appropriate.
6. Eligible applicants will be notified when and where to appear for examination. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent.
7. Unless specifically prohibited by the examination instructions, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery-powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell-checker, personal digital assistant, address books, language translators, dictionaries and any similar devices are prohibited.
8. When the examination is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of examination will apply.
9. When the written examination is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of examination will apply.
10. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
11. Information regarding eligibility for veterans’ credits appears on the open-competitive application form.
12. Pursuant to Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points added to a passing score attained in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination, and you are the child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty, please so notify us in writing when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit must submit appropriate documentation to verify eligibility to receive these additional credits before the eligible list is established. No additional credits will be granted after the eligible list is established.
13. Inquiries may be made as to character and ability and all statements made by candidates are subject to verification. Some employers may require the candidate to be fingerprinted and to pass a background investigation.
14. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
15. Residency is not required for taking any examinations. However, some jurisdictions, such as schools, libraries, etc., give hiring preference to residents. Some towns also require employees to establish residency within the township. For employment in a Suffolk County Department, with only limited exceptions set forth in Suffolk County Law, residency within Suffolk County is required within five years of employment with the county. In any case in which residency preference is given, the appointee(s) must meet a specific residency standard as defined in the Civil Service Rules.
16. Saturday Sabbath Observers and handicapped persons: If special arrangements for testing are required, indicate this on your application.
17. No smoking is permitted in the building or on the grounds of the examination site.
18. If you will be on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States on the date of this test, please contact the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service before the last filing date appearing on this announcement for alternate test date information.
19. Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center. If you have any questions, please call the Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service at (631) 853-5500.
20. For information regarding a weather-related cancellation of this examination, please refer to our website at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/Civil-Service and click on the “Weather-Related Exam Cancellations” link. Civil Service Announcements are shown at the bottom of that page. Also check News 12 Long Island for notice of cancellation of this examination: NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND, TV CHANNEL 12 or at their website: www.news12.com
Suffolk County Department of Human Resources, Personnel and Civil Service
725 Veterans Memorial Highway
William J. Lindsay County Complex, Bldg. # 158
P. O. Box 6100
Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099
Phone (631) 853-5500