CORRECTION OFFICER II
· LAST FILING DATE: AUGUST 22, 2018
· WRITTEN TEST DATE: SEPTEMBER 29, 2018
· COUNTY ANNUAL SALARY $108,208*
· *Salary subject to change per contract
SPECIFICATION # 5502
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $125. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. Application may also be made using the Suffolk County application for promotional examination (Form CS-203). Make your check or money order payable to the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. Do not send cash. Please indicate the examination title and the last four digits of your social security number on the face of your check or money order. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company and volunteer CERT members. Internet applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form on-line. All other applicants should complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application (Form CS-203). All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
DURATION OF ELIGIBLE LIST
The eligible list generated from this examination will remain in effect for a maximum period of two years and shall not be extended. All candidates taking this examination do so with this understanding.
An employee in this class performs supervisory and technical correction work. The incumbent is responsible for receiving and discharging inmates and for overseeing their needs on an assigned shift. Supervision is exercised over Correction Officers I on the same shift. Correction Officers are designated by New York State law as peace officers and may be required to carry firearms in the performance of their duties. Does related work as required.
To be eligible to compete in this examination, a candidate must now be serving as a permanent or contingent permanent Correction Officer I in the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department. To be eligible for appointment, all passing candidates must have completed two (2) years of continuous service as a permanent or contingent permanent Correction Officer I in the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
The written test will cover knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. New York State minimum standards for correctional facilities;
2. Coordinating appropriate responses to emergencies, disturbances and other unusual situations;
3. Supervising inmate correctional programs, services, visitation areas and correctional staff;
4. Preparing written material.
Note: The use of calculators is prohibited for this examination.
Note: A Guide for the Written Test for First-Line Correctional Supervisor is available at the New York State Department of Civil Service website: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/testguides.cfm.
1. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Civil Service Department reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice.
2. An Expanded Description of the examination subtests is available by requesting a copy from the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge. A self-addressed, stamped 9 ½” X 4” envelope must accompany this request.
3. Candidates who apply for this examination and who have not heard from the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service by September 26, 2018 are advised to contact the Civil Service Department before the written test date at (631) 853-5500.
4. You can view your room assignment and exam site on our home page at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice under “Candidate Exam Room Assignment Search” seven days prior to the examination date.
DATE PREPARED: July 17, 2018
1. Paper applications are available at the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge and at the Riverhead County Center display, or by sending a stamped, self-addressed 9 ½” X 4” envelope for each title to: Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, New York 11788-0099.
2. Applications postmarked after midnight of the last filing date may not be considered eligible for this examination.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications by the date of the written test, or last filing date in the case of training and experience evaluations.
4. Candidates found ineligible to compete in a written examination may appeal to the Department of Civil Service for reconsideration prior to the written test date appearing on this announcement. Appeals received on or after the announced written test date will not be considered.
5. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of the competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the scores received on the written test, plus seniority and veterans’ credits where appropriate.
6. Eligible applicants will be notified when and where to appear for examination. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent.
7. Unless specifically prohibited by the examination instructions, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell-checkers, personal digital assistant, address books, language translators, dictionaries and any similar devices are prohibited.
8. In accordance with Section 52 of the Civil Service Law, for county service, first consideration in appointment will be given to employees in the department where a vacancy occurs, after which appointments will be made from the general eligible list.
9. Eligible lists resulting from promotional examinations are only certified to the jurisdiction in which a candidate is employed.
10. When the examination is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of examination will apply.
11. When the written examination is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of examination will apply.
12. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Civil Service Department for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
13. Information regarding eligibility for veterans’ credits appears on the promotional application form.
14. For each six months of continuous permanent competitive service within the jurisdiction, to a maximum of 20 years, .10 credits for seniority will be added to the scores of passing candidates only.
15. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
16. Saturday Sabbath Observers and handicapped persons: If special arrangements for testing are required, indicate this on your application.
17. No smoking is permitted in the building or on the grounds of the examination site.
18. If you will be on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States on the date of this test, please contact the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service before the last filing date appearing on this announcement for alternate test date information.
19. Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center. If you have any questions please call the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service at (631) 853-5500.
20. For information regarding a weather related cancellation of this examination, please refer to our website at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice click on the “Weather Related Exam Cancellations” link. Civil Service Announcements are shown at the bottom of that page. The following stations will broadcast notice of cancellation:
WALK PATCHOGUE 97.5 FM
WBAB BABYLON 102.3 FM
WBLI BABYLON 106.1 FM
WLNG SAG HARBOR 92.1 FM
WBZO FARMINGDALE 103.1 FM
WRCN MEDFORD 103.9 FM
NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND TV CHANNEL 12 website: www.news12.com
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
Announcements and Applications Also Available At
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
725 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY.
WILLIAM J LINDSAY COUNTY COMPLEX, BLDG. #158 Information Display Unit,
P.O. BOX 6100, HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788-0099 Phone: 853-5500 County Center, Riverhead