DIRECTOR OF FACILITIES III
· LAST FILING DATE: NOVEMBER 16, 2018
· WRITTEN TEST DATE: JANUARY 5, 2019
· USUAL ANNUAL SALARY $90,000 - $158,311
· SALARIES VARY BY JURISDICTION
SPECIFICATION # 7533
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. Application may also be made using the Suffolk County application for promotional examination (Form CS-203). Make your check or money order payable to the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. Do not send cash. Please indicate the examination title and the last four digits of your social security number on the face of your check or money order. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company and volunteer CERT members. Internet applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form on-line. All other applicants should complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application (Form CS-203). All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
Note to applicants: You must apply for both the statewide open-competitive examination and this promotion examination. Even if you are only interested in a promotion, you MUST take the corresponding statewide examination for the title listed above and you MUST meet the minimum qualifications. Information on how to apply for the statewide open-competitive examination can be found at www.cs.ny.gov. Even though you must apply for both the statewide open-competitive examination and promotion examinations, you only have to take one examination which will be used to establish both the statewide open-competitive and the promotion eligible list for the Director of Facilities III title.
A Director of Facilities III is responsible for providing administrative direction to a School District’s facilities department. The work is performed according to established policies and procedures and in accordance with applicable State, local, and federal laws, rules and regulations which apply to school district facility operations and maintenance. The majority of activities are performed in the office, but the incumbent will spend time at various work sites ensuring that work is being performed and completed in an efficient manner. This position differs from Director of Facilities II in that the incumbent has primarily administrative responsibilities, while the Director of Facilities II has supervisory responsibilities over subordinate supervisors and staff. A Director of Facilities III may have an Assistant Director of Facilities to assist with the management of day-to-day activities. The work is performed under the general supervision of the School Superintendent or designee with considerable leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out the details of the work. Supervision is exercised over the work of subordinate supervisors. Does related work as required.
To be eligible for appointment from the promotion eligible list a candidate must now be serving and have served on a continuous basis with permanent or contingent permanent competitive status as an Assistant Plant Facilities Administrator for at least one (1) year in the jurisdiction in which the candidate seeks promotion immediately preceding the written examination date.
Note: If you expect to meet the educational requirements listed under the Open-Competitive Qualifications by June 30, 2019, you can be admitted to the written test, but you cannot be considered for appointment until you submit proof of successful completion of the educational requirement to the appointing authority at the time of the employment interview. Failure to meet the following educational requirements by June 30, 2019 may result in you removal from the open-competitive eligible list.
OPEN-COMPETITIVE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and one of the following:
(A) A Bachelor’s or higher-level degree** in School Facilities Management, Engineering, Construction Management or Architecture and three (3) years of experience in school facilities maintenance, general building construction, or building maintenance or repair work, or construction management, one (1) year of which must have been at a supervisory* level; or,
(B) An Associate’s or higher-level degree** in School Facilities Management, Engineering, Engineering Technology, Building Construction Technology or Architectural Technology and five (5) years of experience in school facilities maintenance, general building construction, building maintenance or repair work, or construction management, one (1) year of which must have been at a supervisory* level; or,
(C) Seven (7) years of experience in school facilities maintenance, general building construction, building maintenance or repair work, or construction management, one (1) year of which must have been at a supervisory* level;
(D) An equivalent combination of education and experience as defined in (A), (B) and (C) above.
*Employee supervision is defined as responsible direction and control of subordinate employees. This involves a responsibility for planning for individuals in a work group and includes but is not limited to, assigning and reviewing work evaluating performance, maintaining work standards, motivating and developing subordinate employees, implementing procedural changes, increasing efficiency and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale and discipline. The supervision aspects must be an integral part of the job, not incidental or occasional. Project Management experience which did not include the minimum amount of experience in employee supervision is not qualifying.
Note: Verifiable part-time experience may be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience limited to building cleaning is not qualifying. Building cleaning is defined as activities primarily involving a variety of inside and outside building cleaning activities including, but not limited to, washing walls and windows, polishing floors, cleaning restrooms, disposing of refuse. A degree in landscape architecture shall not be qualifying.
Construction Management: Includes management of a building construction project from inception to completion including cost estimating, construction planning/scheduling and construction inspection to ensure compliance with building codes.
Special Requirement: Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license and certificates appropriate to the vehicles, equipment and/or machinery operated at time of appointment or during the course of employment consistent with the needs of the School District.
Special Requirement for Appointment in School Districts: In accordance with the Safe Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE) legislation, Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, candidates for appointment in school districts must obtain clearance for employment from the State Education Department prior to employment based upon a fingerprint and criminal history background check.
**Please attach to the application a copy of your college transcript(s) which must have your name, college name, and date of graduation printed on it by the institution. Grade report, incomplete transcripts and other similar documents are unacceptable.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
The written test will cover knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Administrative supervision;
2. Administrative techniques and practices;
3. Facilities management.
Note: The use of calculators is allowed for this examination.
Note: A Guide for the Written Test for Director of Facilities is available at the New York State Department of civil Service website: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/testguides.cfm.
1. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Civil Service Department reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice.
2. Expanded Description of the examination subtests is available by requesting a copy from the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge. A self-addressed, stamped 9 ½” X 4” envelope must accompany this request.
DATE PREPARED: October 4, 2018
1. Paper applications are available at the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge and at the Riverhead County Center display, or by sending a stamped, self-addressed 9 ½” X 4” envelope for each title to: Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, New York 11788-0099.
2. Applications postmarked after midnight of the last filing date may not be considered eligible for this examination.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications by the date of the written test, or last filing date in the case of training and experience evaluations. Unless otherwise stated part-time experience will be pro-rated.
4. Candidates found ineligible to compete in a written examination may appeal to the Department of Civil Service for reconsideration prior to the written test date appearing on this announcement. Appeals received on or after the announced written test date will not be considered.
5. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of the competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the scores received on the written test, plus seniority and veterans’ credits where appropriate.
6. Eligible applicants will be notified when and where to appear for examination. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent.
7. Unless specifically prohibited by the examination instructions, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell-checkers, personal digital assistant, address books, language translators, dictionaries and any similar devices are prohibited.
8. In accordance with Section 52 of the Civil Service Law, for county service, first consideration in appointment will be given to employees in the department where a vacancy occurs, after which appointments will be made from the general eligible list.
9. Eligible lists resulting from promotional examinations are only certified to the jurisdiction in which a candidate is employed.
10. When the examination is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of examination will apply.
11. When the written examination is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of examination will apply.
12. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Civil Service Department for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
13. Information regarding eligibility for veterans’ credits appears on the promotional application form.
14. For each six months of continuous permanent competitive service within the jurisdiction, to a maximum of 20 years, .10 credits for seniority will be added to the scores of passing candidates only.
15. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
16. Saturday Sabbath Observers and handicapped persons: If special arrangements for testing are required, indicate this on your application.
17. No smoking is permitted in the building or on the grounds of the examination site.
18. If you will be on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States on the date of this test, please contact the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service before the last filing date appearing on this announcement for alternate test date information.
19. Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center. If you have any questions please call the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service at (631) 853-5500.
WALK PATCHOGUE 97.5 FM
WBAB BABYLON 102.3 FM
WBLI BABYLON 106.1 FM
WLNG SAG HARBOR 92.1 FM
WBZO FARMINGDALE 103.1 FM
WRCN MEDFORD 103.9 FM
NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND TV CHANNEL 12 website: www.news12.com
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
Announcements and Applications Also Available At
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
725 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY.
WILLIAM J LINDSAY COUNTY COMPLEX, BLDG. #158 Information Display Unit,
P.O. BOX 6100, HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788-0099 Phone: 853-5500 County Center, Riverhead