CHIEF POWER PLANT OPERATOR
CIVIL SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
· LAST FILING DATE: MAY 2, 2018
· WRITTEN TEST DATE: JUNE 9, 2018
· USUAL ANNUAL SALARY $85,000
· SALARIES VARY B JURISDICTION
SPECIFICATION # 7681
All statements made on the application may be verified and the backgrounds of successful candidates are subject to investigation by the appointing authority.
APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE and FEE WAIVER
The application processing fee is $40. Application may be made via the internet at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice. Payment must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit card and there will be an additional convenience fee of $1.95. An acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to all internet applicants via e-mail. Application may also be made using the Suffolk County Application for Employment (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B). Make your check or money order payable to the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. Do not send cash. Please indicate the examination title and the last four digits of your social security number on the face of your check or money order. A separate application and processing fee are required for each examination (identified by examination number) for which you are applying. The application processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
The application processing fee may be waived for Suffolk County residents who are veterans, auxiliary police, members in good standing of a local fire district or ambulance company and volunteer CERT members. The fee may also be waived if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household and for recipients of Medicaid, SSI, Public Assistance or those in a training program under the Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act administered by a state or local social service agency. Internet applicants should complete the “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form on-line. All other applicants should complete a “Request for Application Fee Waiver and Certification” form and submit it with your application (Forms CS-205A and CS-205B). All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification.
The eligible list for this title will be used to fill current and future vacancies for this title in non-county jurisdictions under the jurisdiction of the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service. There is currently one vacancy in the William Floyd Union Free School District.
An employee in this class is responsible for the operation, repair and maintenance of a gas powered electric generating plant, including associated mechanical equipment. Responsibility may be included for supervising the work of operators, mechanics and other personnel assigned to the plant. Work is performed under the general direction of a higher ranking administrative employee. Does related work as required.
Graduation from a standard senior high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, and five (5) years of experience in the operation and repair of power plant equipment.
Note: Completion of courses in a vocational school program or from an apprenticeship or training program* for plant operators or stationary engineers may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis to a maximum of four (4) years.
*Please attach to the application a copy of your relevant vocational school program courses or verification of completion of an apprenticeship or training program for plant operators or stationary engineers.
SCOPE OF THE EXAMINATION
The written test will cover knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
1. Operation and maintenance of diesel engines;
2. Reading of scales and gauges;
3. Operation and maintenance of electrical generating plant equipment including prime movers;
4. Work planning and scheduling.
Note: The use of calculators is recommended for this examination.
Note: The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication “How to Take a Written Test” helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available online at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
1. Should it become necessary to amend any part of this announcement, the Civil Service Department reserves the right to make such amendment on the Department’s web page without notification to applicants. The most current copy of this announcement is available during the filing period at www.suffolkcounyny.gov/civilservice.
2. Expanded Description of the examination subtests is available by requesting a copy from the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge. A self-addressed, stamped 9 ½” X 4” envelope must accompany this request.
3. Candidates who apply for this examination and who have not heard from the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service by June 6, 2018 are advised to contact the Civil Service Department before the written test date at (631) 853-5500.
4. You can view your room assignment and exam site on our home page at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice under “Candidate Exam Room Assignment Search” seven days prior to the examination date.
DATE PREPARED: March 7, 2018
GENERAL CONDITIONS OPEN-COMPETITIVE ANNOUNCEMENT
1. Paper applications are available at the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service in Hauppauge and at the Riverhead County Center display, or by sending a stamped, self-addressed 9 ½” X 4”envelope for each title to: Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, P.O. Box 6100, Hauppauge, NY 11788-0099.
2. Applications postmarked after midnight of the last filing date may not be considered eligible for this examination.
3. Unless otherwise stated, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications by the date of the written test, or last filing date in the case of training and experience evaluations. Unless otherwise stated part-time experience will be pro-rated.
4. Candidates found ineligible to compete in the written examination may appeal to the Department of Civil Service for reconsideration prior to the written test date appearing on this announcement. Appeals received on or after the announced written test date will not be considered.
5. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration for purposes of this competition. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list will be determined on the basis of the scored received on the written test, plus veterans’ credits where appropriate.
6. Eligible applicants will be notified when and where to appear for examination. If an application is rejected, due notice will be sent.
7. Unless specifically prohibited by the examination instructions, candidates are permitted to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell-checker, personal digital assistant, address books, language translators, dictionaries and any similar devices are prohibited.
8. When the examination is prepared and rated by the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service, the provisions of the Suffolk County Civil Service Rules dealing with the rating of examination will apply.
9. When the written examination is prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law, the provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations which deal with the rating of examination will apply.
10. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one year and may be extended by the Civil Service Department for a maximum of four years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify to future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
11. Information regarding eligibility for veterans’ credits appears on the open-competitive application form.
12. Pursuant to Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points added to a passing score attained in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination, and you are the child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty, please so notify us in writing when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit must submit appropriate documentation to verify eligibility to receive these additional credits before the eligible list is established. No additional credits will be granted after the eligible list is established.
13. Inquiries may be made as to character and ability and all statements made by candidates are subject to verification. Some employers may require the candidate to be fingerprinted and to pass a background investigation.
14. Candidates must be medically, physically and psychologically capable of performing the duties of the job. Candidates who are appointed to positions in the Suffolk County service may be required to pass qualifying medical and/or physical and/or psychological evaluations.
15. Residency is not required for taking any examinations. However, some non-county jurisdictions, such as schools, libraries, etc., give hiring preference to residents. Some towns also require employees to establish residency within the township. For employment in a Suffolk County Department, with only limited exceptions set forth in Suffolk County Law, residency within Suffolk County is required throughout employment with the county. In any case in which residency preference is given, the appointee(s) must meet a specific residency standard as defined in the Civil Service Rules.
16. Saturday Sabbath Observers and handicapped persons: If special arrangements for testing are required, indicate this on your application.
17. No smoking is permitted in the building or on the grounds of the examination site.
18. If you will be on active military duty with the armed forces of the United States on the date of this test, please contact the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service before the last filing date appearing on this announcement for alternate test date information.
19. Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day: If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date, so they can make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All examinations for positions in State government will be held at a State examination center. If you have any questions please call the Suffolk County Department of Civil Service at (631) 853-5500.
20. For information regarding a weather related cancellation of this examination, please refer to our website at www.suffolkcountyny.gov/civilservice click on the “Weather Related Exam Cancellations” link. Civil Service Announcements are shown at the bottom of that page. The following stations will broadcast notice of cancellation:
WALK PATCHOGUE 97.5 FM
WBAB BABYLON 102.3 FM
WBLI BABYLON 106.1 FM
WLNG SAG HARBOR 92.1 FM
WBZO FARMINGDALE 103.1 FM
WRCN MEDFORD 103.9 FM
NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND TV CHANNEL 12 website: www.news12.com
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
Announcements and Applications Also Available At
SUFFOLK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE
725 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY.
WILLIAM J LINDSAY COUNTY COMPLEX, BLDG. #158 Information Display Unit,
P.O. BOX 6100, HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788-0099 Phone: 853-5500 County Center, Riverhead